Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clients not visable in System Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

dechnoz

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2001
US
I recently upgraded 11 workstations to Win2k sp2. My servers are running NT4 sp6. Several of the clients are not visable in the System Center. I installed NAVCE using the "NT Client Install" option and all of the workstations were seen during that operation. I have tried the Discovery option a few times and no luck. I also re-booted the NAVCE server with the same results. All of the stations are pingable and can be seen in network neighborhood.
I'm out of ideas and am hoping someone out there might have some suggestions.
Thanks...
Dale

Your stations probably became unmanaged.
Copy grc.dat from the server to each workstation
c:\program files\navnt

Let me know if that does it.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

we have currently the same problem in our small office network.
My colleague had to reinstall the complete fileserver, and so ne clients seemed to become unmanaged.
In the system center console there is only one client displayed instead of all.
I have tried to reinstalled NAV on the other workstations, tried your tip and copied th grc.dat file from server to clients, but there is no way to get the other clients managed.
I wanted to ask you If you would give me a small howto(a link or anything else) install the server and clients and how to get them managed.
I want to reinstall the complete AntiVirus software because i have no more idea how to solve this problem .

Thanks a lot and have a nice weekend !

Greetings

Roland

See if this helped.
I had a similiar problem when updating clients.
They appeared for a couple of days then disappeared.

How to adjust the time-out value for automatically deleting clients from the Symantec System Center Console

Situation:
By default, it takes three days for an uninstalled client to be removed from the Symantec System Center Console. You want to increase or decrease this setting.

Solution:
Parent servers are responsible for keeping an updated list of their clients. The Symantec System Center console only lists clients that it has received by querying parent servers. Client information is not cached on the console computer. If you remove a client key from the Clients key on the parent server, then the client will no longer show up in the console under its parent.

If a client is down (for example, because it was powered off for a week), then when it comes back up it will check in with its old parent server. The client will then be added back to the server's Clients key, and show up in the console on the next update.

If you are using Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.02 build 52 or later, you can add a registry key DWORD value that determines the number of hours before a parent server will discard a deleted client. The new DWORD value determines the number of hours before the client is removed from the console.

To add the DWORD value:

1. On the parent server, launch the Windows Registry Editor, and then locate the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\LANDesk\VirusProtect6\CurrentVersion

2. Click the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value
3. Name the value ClientExpirationTimeout.
4. Right-click the new key, and then click Modify.
5. In the Value Data text box, replace the 0 with a number greater than 0.

NOTE: Without the use of the ClientExpirationTimeout value, the default time is 72 hours. Use a smaller value to decrease the time it takes for the client to be removed from the console or use a larger value to increase the time. For example, if you feel the clients are not removed quickly enough from the console after Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition is uninstalled, then change the number to 24. If a large number of your client computers are being removed from the console because people are away from the office and their computers are turned off, then you can specify a number larger than 72.

6. Click OK, and then exit the Registry Editor. No reboot is required.

NOTE: Once every hour, the parent server will review its client registry entries. It checks the LastCheckinTime registry value to see whether it is older than the configured ClientExpirationTimeout value. If the server identifies a client as being stale, it deletes that registry key. The next time that the console queries the server for a list of its clients, that client will not appear.

If you are using Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.02 build 49 or earlier, then there is no way to adjust the automatic client expiration value. The clients will automatically be removed after three days. To manually remove the clients from the Symantec System Center, see the document How to remove clients from the Symantec System Center.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product(s): Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition 7.0
Operating Systems(s): Windows 2000, Windows NT 4.0, Windows NT 3.51, NetWare 3x, NetWare 4x
Document ID: 2000070511575548
Date Created: 04/02/2001
Last Modified: 07/12/2001

The correct way to manage a previously unmananged client in Navce 7.5x any build is as follows. Copy the GRC.dat file from the VPhome share of the NAVCE server that you want as the parent server to the client. For NT/2000 copy it to the following directory: c:documents and settings/all users/application data/symantec/norton antivirus corporate edition/7.5/. Restart workstation in question. Done.
9x clients get their Grc.dat file copied to the program files/nav directory. Restart workstation and login to the network with any authenticated account. Wait a few seconds and done. The SSC console is not realtime and therefore will need between 2 and 5 minutes depending on the size of your client base on the individual parent server to show up on the console. Make sure to refresh the console. I have never had an issue performing reconfigurations of clients this way.

Hi to all !
Okay, I have tried several steps now, but without any positive effect.
The situation is as follows :
One Nav Server, win2k server and one server group for our small office network.
One client is visible and manageable in this console, but no other ..
Copying the grc.dat to the client computer didn't help.
The grc.dat file was simply deleted when the machine was restartet.
I will give him a new try with an write-protected grc.dat.

The client that is visible has no grc.dat .
Not in /program files/navnt nor in documents and settings .

But it works. Don't ask me why and how.
The "help documents" are also not very helpful to me solving this problem.

So I have one quest(ion) for you .. :)
Can anyone give me a good way how the install server&client so that the work together managed, because I have no further ideas ..

Thanks very much for your help !

greetings

roland

Actually, you should not normally see the grc.dat file on the client. Once the connection is established, the Norton Client deletes this file. That is the way it is designed to work.

We recently needed to do this process on all of our clients after a IP Renumber project. Copying the grc.dat to the client Norton Director worked great! Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back