Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clients lose default gateway

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankcpl

Technical User
Mar 16, 2007
US
I am having an issue with a windows 2003 network. I have the server running DHCP and DNS. Everything worked great the first week. Then some clients (Windows XP SP 3) lose the default gateway. I ipconfig /all and everything is right except there is nothing in the default gateway. Does anyone know why this happens?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1.Check your DHCP server's mscope details are correct.
2.Make sure somebody hasn't connected another DHCP to the LAN. Disconnect your existing DHCP server and do an IPconfig /release and /renew to see if there isn't another server running.

DHCP Server's MSCOPE? not for sure what you are talking about. Unless you are talking about the scope ipaddresses.

I have access points on the network, but no other DHCPs. I can release the ips and renew them, the only way I can get a default password to show up is by adding the route -p, it works for a day or two then it disappears again.

Yes, "scope" - not sure where that "m" came from....

So your scope is correctly configured? It's not the IP addresses I'm worried about - it's the "router" option (option 3).

It's about 3 years since I managed an organisation's DHCP server, but I seem to remember I could "stop" individual scopes when required - this would be a good way to see if there is another device handing out IP addresses on that subnet.

I will try that Monday, Thanks for the information.

Tried that and still no dice. I have finally figured out a little something. The guys before me set up the server to be DHCP and DNS by enabling internet sharing on one nic and not using the RRAS but when I try to enable that it doesn't allow anyone to connect. Is there any thing anyone can think that I might need to check?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back