Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ClientRemote Install Utility

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonmat72

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2006
GB
Can you use the ClientRemote Install Utility on a network configured as a Workgroup rather than a Domain?

I have tried to use it in the past but always get the error message "Access to the network resource denied" after I have selected the Server then the Client.

What I need is a way of updating Clients with patches etc without having to round every PC in the office and manualy doing it.

Any suggestions?

Yes, it is possible with Workgroups.

For remote install, the installing person on the Server needs to have admin rights on the client. There may be a requirement on Win98 to to have file & print sharing enabled. (Version 9 is last Win98 compatable)

Alternatively 1, you can install the program locally as a managed client and point to your SAV server for updates.

Alternatvely 2 , install it locally as an unmanaged client, and use Live Update pointed at the Symantec web site.

I am having a problem with Client Remote Install on my Domain. I've got about 20% of the users who i can't install to. I am trying to do an upgrade from 10 to 10.1. It gives me an error saying it cant' access the admin share, but says i shouldn't get this error if i'm on a domain.

Then it says to disable simple file sharing. I tried that on one of the computers and still can't get in.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back