Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clientele 7.3 - help with repetitive entries

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurseydiamond

Technical User
Jul 28, 2010
US
I am not a employed in the computer field but am tech saavy and looking for advice. I posted the following to yahoo answers & received the respose listed (which I don't know the answer to for clientele)...now I need to know if anyone here has any better suggestions...this system is terribly labor-intensive to work with and I am looking to automate or streamline anything I can....please read below -any help or suggestions are appreciated - thanks.

Here's what I posted to yahoo:Can a macro be written that takes data from an excel spreadsheet and then puts it into a dos-based program (clientele I believe it is version 7.3, if you are famiar with this)? I am asking because I review a large amount of data every day in this clientele system (the clientele system does run macros, because there is a macro recorder and editor). Each day I run a "work in progress," report, which I then transfer to an excel spreadsheet because I can see & sort the data better this way. But then, I have to input the same data (essentially, an ID number & a date) into 2 or 3 different areas of this clientele system (once to review some billing codes, then again to review reports, then again so I can enter batch billing for the work I have done). I know this may sound confusing but I am hoping someone will be able to give me some advice on how to proceed...I just don't know enough about macros to know whether I can even do this or not...any help is appreciated....Thanks!

ANSWER: If the program can be automated (called with command-line arguments), or if it can be made to read a text file on startup, probably, otherwise no. But you'd have to learn the format the program needs, then make Excel create that format for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back