Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client32 and CardBus PC Card NICs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 1999
US
I am trying to get Client32 3.x to successfully connect to the NDS tree through a CardBus NIC. The laptop in question is a Toshiba Satellite 4060 (a 366MHz Pentium II) and the NICs I have tried are Fast Ethernet ones from Xircom and 3Com. Token-ring NICs from Xircom work, and TCP/IP and Microsoft's Client for Netware Networks works with all of the NICs. Has anyone been able to get Client32 to work with a CardBus NIC?

Yes, and I had several problems at first, too. When installing some laptops with Circom parallel-adapters or 3Com-Cards (both Ethernet) with Client32 under DOS 6.22/windows3.11 I sometimes got a response by the client32-installation programm: 'there was a problem installing the driver...'(and sometimes not) At last, I selected another driver and inserted the origin 3C????.com-driver in the \novell\client32\-Directory and changed startnet.bat and net.cfg manually. If you have installation diskettes for the cardbus NIC, use them at first. Some stuff will be removed by client32 later, some helpful stuff may stay. In a Token-Ring-LAN (with PC's) I sometimes had to insert the 'Route.Com' in the startnet.bat manually; under Window$95, there are in most cases troubles between Microsoft and 3Com cards. Check the hardware configuration - card settings and keep attention if the NIC is marked with a (!). Remove this entry and set it again.<br>
Hope it helps, if not, please leave here a message which error message on which platform occours.

This laptop happens to be running Windows 95. Client32 won't post a message, but it does record the fact that it can't find a server in the debugging log, even though the MS client can see all of the servers.<br>
<br>

Look at the novell-client32-properties. I bet the <br>
'primary logical board' ist set to 'automatic' to <br>
get all possible (and impossible) frame types. <br>
Change this to the specific frame type(s) your<br>
server is running! I guess that will help.

I have a number of Laptops here and I must truthfully say that I HATE LAPTOPS! <br>
These are some of the most picky pieces of equipment know to Man/Woman ! In most cases I have found that I have to start with a clean install of the laptop with NO cards installed in the system. Then impliment the Card Bus function and then insert the PCMCIA card.<br>
Sometimes check the WEB for new Card Drivers. This happened to me once where a special driver was needed for a certain laptop.<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back