Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Side Validation

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulcooke

Programmer
Dec 11, 2003
GB
Basically I have got a few pages with quite a lot on data on. I don't wish to use the asp. validation controls due to the round trips overhead. Speed is of the essence. Therefore I wish to use some javascript validation routine to ensure all the data is correct and if so proceed to my asp button save for example.

Any ideas how to achieve this? I have come from a vb.net desktop programming background and am new to asp.net, any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

I don't wish to use the asp. validation controls due to the round trips overhead
The ASP.NET validation controls use JavaScript to do client-side validation before the data is submitted to the server...

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Thanks I thought this was the case but got confused because when I got these validation controls on a web form and click the command button to submit the page load event is fired again in the code behind wall?

Well it depends what type of validation controls you have placed on the page and what validation you need to do as you won't get that behaviour with a RequiredFieldValidator (for example).

Right cheers what are these FieldValidator an expensive control to use with the size and speed of the page in mind? Got one form with over 40 fields on and each field needs to contain data. thanks for your help

You can just add a RequiredFieldValidator for each control then and there won't be any speed issues as it will validate all controls on the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back