Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client/Server Rules Exchange 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.

belpepsi

MIS
Nov 27, 2001
US
In March of this year we upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to 2000 then to 2003. We finally had everything up on 2003 by May. Since then we have found that every Monday morning a popup will occur for certain users asking if they want to keep client or server side rules. We have them choose Client side rules and then we have to go in and have them RunNow on the rules they have set up.

Our system is Exchange 2003 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise. Our clients have a mixture of Outlook 2000/2002. We also run Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition V. 8.1.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas. I have been wracking my brain for about 2 months now.

Thanks
Stephen Fisher
Network Lead

We saw this as well when we upgraded from Exchange 2k to 2k3.

Unfortunately I don't recall now what the solution was. For the most part, the users would just have to choose that they wanted the server rules and they were fine.

In some cases there were rules in their system that pointed to the old server instance and wouldn't recognize the new setup - I forget how exactly, but we had to clear those out.

In other cases, the users would keep getting messages that there were too many recipients in the rule (even though it worked fine before) and then it would do the "server or client" error message.
For that one, the install process for Exchange 2003 has a known bug where some installs are going to have to go into System Manager -> Global Settings - > Message Delivery -> Properties -> Defaults and then change the Recipient limit to the opposite of whatever it is currently at - hit Apply, and then put it back to the other thing and apply again.
In our case we had to move it to "no limit" and then go back and actually put a limit of as many 9s as it would take.
There is something in the KB about this that I recall reading to solve it.

I apologize that I am a bit hazy on this, but we have a consultant that comes in and works on this as well and a lot of it I gave to him to resolve - so I recall us working on it, but not every detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back