Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

client-server question

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgeorge

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
NG
i want to create a network ready app..
what i mean is there will be one database which all the clients connect to..

when i install the app on the workstations , will it automatically "detect" that it should not create a copy of the db on the client but "connect" to the db on the server.?

how do i do this in vb 6.0
thanks..

What database server will you be using?
(hopefully not Access)

Chip H.

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ222-2244 first

> when i install the app on the workstations , will it automatically "detect" that it should not create a copy of the db on the client but "connect" to the db on the server.?

That would very much depend on if you program the application to create a database or search for one...[smile]

I put the path to the app database in an ini file and then read that - that way you can get it to point somewhere else if you want it to.

Andy
"Logic is invincible because in order to combat logic it is necessary to use logic." -- Pierre Boutroux
"Why does my program keep showing error messages every time something goes wrong?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back