Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client-server and dll's

Status
Not open for further replies.

stx

Programmer
Sep 24, 2002
BE
Hi

Here's my prob:

My program was finished and i made a setup-routine with the package and deployment wizard.
I installed everything on a server, tested the executable an everything worked fine.
Now i want the clients to use the executable placed on the server by giving them a shortcut.
Then the program doesn't work because of missing dll's etc.
Can't i make clear to my program to use the dll's on the server as well (or do i need to install the dll's needed on every client-pc,there are over 100 clients!!!!).

Any ideas?
thnx

I presume the application is running from a shared path. You could leave the DLL's in the same path and register them on all the clients. ( Or even better, register them when app. is opened and unreg when closed)

If the Dll's are not ActiveX Dll's then they can live on the server. Problem being though you'll have to create the shortcut's "Start In" directory so that the DLL's will be where your app expects them to be.

If your DLL's are DLL's writen in VB then you have a problem because all VB DLL's are ActiveX Dll's which means, though they don't have to physically reside on the clients machine they do have to be registered to the clients machine. That being said running EXE's and DLL's off a file server isn't always the best option. Most often it is better to copy the files local before running the app local this will help proformance a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back