Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Requester Reinstalls constantly required

Status
Not open for further replies.

albar

Programmer
Feb 15, 2002
US
Running PSQL 2000i on a W2K Server.
Clients are a mix of W98, W95 and a few XP.
I have several stations that btrieve calls fails on at differing intervals, not always the same machines, not always the same days, etc - no pattern is discernible save that I am certain the machine is being shut down improperly - powered down with the on-off button rather than using the windows shut down method. I have to remove then re-install the client, and everything is fine for a while.
When running PvswClean it always claims the pvsw directory is orphaned and offers to remove it.
Ideas?
Thanks!

First, what exact version of Btrieve/Pervasive are you using (what's the version of w3odbcci.dll/Wbtrv7.dll)?
Second, when it fails, what Btrieve errors are you seeing?
Is Pervasive installed in the default directory? When the errors start, can you use Pervasive utilities?

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician
Custom VB and Btrieve development.

Have you checked the "pvsw.log" on both the server and local machines to see what might be going on. I have installed PSQL2000i on at least 200 different networks both Novell (4.x, 5.x)and Windows server and client using both TCP/IP and IPX and have not encountered this type of issue. Could you give me a little more information as to your setup and configuration. What service pack level are you at, protocols being used, is DNS correct, etc. If your users are exiting the application as they should, it shouldn't make a difference if they shut their machines down by hitting the power button. If this is a thin client environment it might present a problem.

msotomayor
Certified Pervasive Professional
Certified Pervasive Technician
msotomayor@agris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back