Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client re install question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonTTgo

MIS
Apr 5, 2005
US
Was wondering if I can confine automatic deployment of the SMS client to a collection? I know that turning on client push will deploy to the whole site and I know I can push to a collection, but I have to initiate the push everytime I put a new workstation into the collection. Just wondering if I can treat the client push like a package with an advertisement?

Also, was wondering what happens if a computer is a client from automatic deployment, then gets re imaged and is brought back into the domain with the same name as before? Will SMS push the client out again automatically to this workstation? Will it matter if I delete the client from AD and add it back in?

Thanks,
Don

To answer your first question. I dont think you could deploy the sms client to a collection, in your case being a pc that doesn't have the SMS client installed. How is that pc suppose to communicate with your distribution point? The SMS client needs to be installed on a workstation for that workstation to be able to communicate with a distribution point whether it be through a management point, if you're using advance clients or CAP, if you're using the legacy client.... To answer your second question.. What method are you using to install your sms client?

To control the client installation, I populate a collection manually and right click the collection and choose install client. As an initial test I need to push the client out to 2 of our 40 schools. I've created 40 collections that automatically populated themselves from AD. So I was wondering if there was a way to automate this client push because computers maybe added to these 2 schools during the test and I wouldn't know. Since I'm trying to control the push to 2 schools at this time I can't just enable the site client push option. I guess I'm just trying figure out if enabling client pushing to the whole site is the only option to have it automated?

My second question was meant for after I have the client installed on computers in all the schools using the automated site client push option. What happens if computers are re imaged at a school and brought back into the domain with the same name? Is SMS "smart" enough to know it doesn't have the client installed anymore and automatically push it out? Or because it's the same name, will it not take any action with the re imaged workstation.

Thanks for the reply,
Don

You want to make sure the SMS client is automatically installed on all clients when they next logon, and you want to force installation of the client if the pc has been reimaged or reinstalltion if the client was removed inadvertently.. To accomplish this task, you must create a logon script that runs Capinst.exe with the /Advcli /DC and /SLP switches, place it in the appropriate location and then modify the users's profile to execute the script at logon.... sorry about last night, the wife was acting up..

That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping not to add anymore to our current login script.

So basically if a user manages to remove the client or the computer gets reimaged, the SMS server will not know on it's own to redeploy the client out to it?

Thanks,
Don

The client push installation is designed to push the SMS client to newly discovered computer resources.... In theory i guess if you delete the computer account from AD then have SMS rediscover that computer then that should work providing SMS extends active directory... I dont know this to be true though but you can give it a try, if this is something you would want to do...

Why aren't you using SQL queries based collections? I would have one collection that is called Computers Without Clients and use the following query:

select sms_r_system.ResourceID,sms_r_system.ResourceType,sms_r_system.Name,sms_r_system.SMSUniqueIdentifier,sms_r_system.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,sms_r_system.Client from sms_r_system where Client = 0 or Client is null

Then all you deploy is to computers that do not have the clients.

In addition, make sure you have the Heartbeat discovery on so you do not have re-install the client back every so often.

If you use Active Directory Discover, you can turn on "Enable client push installation to assigned resources" under Site Settings\Client Installation Method. This will auto install SMS clients for you. This will even work for those pcs that are re-imaged, if you have the maintenance task setup to delete old client information. But this means that the client may not get install for a month or so, depending on the time fram you are using for the Maintenance Window. You can check at your maintenance tasks under Site Settings\Site Maintenance\Tasks.

If you decide to do a script, you may not want to run it upon User Logon because they may not have the proper permissions to install in the computer. Instead, I would write a script that test whether the client has been installed, and if it has not, it reports the computer (creates a file in a centralized place). Then from the server, you can have another script that scans that folder and checks for the computers that were reported and runs another script to install the client (Just take a bit of knowledge about scripting but most of the scripts that you need are already pre-written. Just go to
Hope this helps,

Gladys Rodriguez
GlobalStrata Solutions

If you ever run into any problems with SMS Client installing on a workstation make sure you run cclean.exe which comes with SMS 2003 Took Kit. That thing saved my ass a few times.

Anthony

Try turning on the SMS task to clear the install flag once a week, that way in the event a PC has the client removed SMS will check to verify it still exists on the collection member, if not, it will remove the pc from the collection, so the next time active directory or system discovery kick off the pc should get the client again.

I need some help with SMS 2003. I would like to use the logon script client installtion but i cannot figure out what to type inside the script to initiate the installation on the client PC. Any suggestions?

How do I allow SMS 2003 to modify my Login Script to install Clients?

I seem to have getting all my machines in my SMS database, so I want to turn on my SMS logon script. What are the disadvantages of SMS editing my logon scripts and what does it add to the script? If I change my mind and turn off the logon scripts what do I need to do to clean up my scripts?
Contributed By: Travis Sweat (MSFT)
SMS 2003 does not modify logon scripts. While available in 2.0, logon installation and discovery were dropped from the product in SMS 2003.

Contributed By: Wally Mead [MS]
SMS 2003 does not maintain the logon script as we did in SMS 2.0. You would have to create your own logon script to run whatever program you want to initiate client installation.

If you install a Server Locator Point, then we recommend using Capinst.exe in your logon script. You can simply run capinst.exe to install legacy clients (only for Windows 98 and Windows NT 4.0 SP6), or Capinst.exe /advcli for advanced clients.

This is well documented in the Concepts, Planning and Deployment Guide that comes with SMS 2003, or is available from the SMS web site.

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

I have one client installed from using the SMSman.exe file and i know for sure that it did in fact install on the client PC, but i dont see that client on the site. I thought maybe it was a security issue so i shared and set certain groups under directories but no help. One of them i cannot even apply the security changes to. Any suggestions? which directories should i give access to if any?

huh?

If you install a Server Locator Point, then we recommend using Capinst.exe in your logon script. You can simply run capinst.exe to install legacy clients (only for Windows 98 and Windows NT 4.0 SP6), or Capinst.exe /advcli for advanced clients.

Don't use SMSMAN.exe

(note it is better to install the Advanced client when you have OS's Windows 2000 and higher..)

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

I have SMS 2003 installed on a server with Windows Server 2003. I have the database on our primary server running SBS 2003. Both site are able to communicate fine but the problem is i cannot install clients.(SMS 2003 software is on a "box" and the database is on the primary server) I tried enabling all installation methods, even discovery methods, but for some reason it doesnt install the client software on the client pc's. Doesnt even discover them. Now im not sure whats going on because im new with SMS. So i need some help! Now the wierd thing is, i can install the client using the client.msi file in the I386 directory but it doesnt appear in the admin console. Please help. Thanks.

Ok i have turned off all discovery methods except for the AD and heartbeat. Also, I did extend the AD schema.

Yes we extended the schema prior to the post. Yes we did receive some component errore uner Site systems\site name\component status: SMS_MP_Control_manager. Here are two repeating errors: "SMS site components manager failed to install this component on this site system" and "SMS site component manager failed to install this component because it either cant find or configure IIS BITS Server Extensions." They appear after a informational milestone notifying me that it installing a component. Also we do have BITS because the service is running (restarted it also)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back