Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client RAID suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geates

Programmer
Aug 25, 2009
US
I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, I could not find a generic RAID forum.

I have a ASUS mobo with 6xSATA II port capable of RAID 0, 1, 1+0. I want to apply a RAID to 3x Western Digital 7200RPM 250GB SATA drives. This is what I'd like to do

Code:
       -----------------------------------
DISK 0 |  System  |     Data Strip       |

DISK 1 |  Mirror  |     Data Strip       |

DISK 2 |  Mirror  |     Data Parity      |
I don't believe I can do this with my current hardware capablities, but I can do it using Windows RAID and dynamic disks.

Is this design overkill? What kind of performance hit can I expect having the a portion of the Data volume on the same disk as the System?

-Geates

Your code box is not quite right...
You can not stripe data (raid adapter level or OS level) from a raid array (in this case the mirrored disks), to a non raid drive (system disk 0). If you were required to setup disk 0 as a raid 0, it is a misnomer, it is still a stand alone drive.
Secondly there is no parity in a raid 1 mirror or a raid 10, the other raid types use parity.
Thirdly with raid 1, "striping" means little, as data is written to one disk, then to the other disk; reads are read from one disk of a mirrored pair, unlike raid 10 which allows reads from all the disks.
Do yourself a favor and stay away from Dynamic disks other then for a simple raid 1.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I have an ASUS P5K3 Deluxe motherboard and I have 2 RAID-5 volumes. A 66GB volume for my OS and 865GB volume for my data. I started with a RAID 0 volume for my OS, but after having a drive die, I didn't want to go though that kind of hassle again, so I made it all RAID 5.
Here are my speed tests for No RAID, RAID 0, 1 & 5:

I'd recommend enabling Volume Write-Back Cache on the OS volume, but not the Data volume.

Mine is basically like this:

Code:
DISK 0 |  OS RAID 5  |    Data RAID 5    |

DISK 1 |  OS RAID 5  |    Data RAID 5    |

DISK 2 |  OS RAID 5  |    Data RAID 5    |

Status