Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Loses Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbarrol

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2001
US
Hello,
I am having a problem where one of my client computers is losing the connection to the mapped drives on the server if the client computer sits idle for a period of time. I am using client version 3.32.0.0 SP1 on all of my clients and all have been working great except this one. It is a Win 98 machine, but so are quite a few of the other clients. Does anyone know of anything in the client or IPX properties that might be set (or unset) to resolve this problem, or have any ideas on how to resolve this?
Thanks,
Craig Barroll

Does the problem occure when you remove the Novell client and just use the Microsoft client for Netware?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Certified nut case [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer

I found that when the system went into standby mode it disconnected itself from the mapped network drives. Weird, I never had this happen before with other systems, but when I set the system to never go into standby and never turn off hard disks, it stays connected...

Have you checked to make sure the power profile isn't allowing the network crad to let the computer go into sleep mode?

It sounds like you need to let the power profile not do anything and see if the problem goes away.

When older machines hard drives go idle for power saving, the requests take longer when waking up (so to speak) and timing issues can occur as well.

I always disable the power profiles. Most laptops I've seen and quite a few desktops will shut down the NIC when they either go idle or into standby. Much to the dismay of many Microshaft flunkies, it doesn't have anything to do with the Novell clients.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back