Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client Log in problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtacoach

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2003
US
I have one PC (XP Pro) logging in with Client v 4.9. I keep having to install the client for him to get in. Once reinstalled, he can log in. The next day, it will not let him. The message he gets says that it can't fine the tree. I reinstall and it works fine.

I have the same type of PC and loaded the client the exact same way and I have no problem logging in. There is a third PC that is similar that doesn't have any problems either.

Any clue?

Hi,

I have seen the client do some funny things. For instance, I could login with one account but not another.

Try stripping out the client, protocols and network card. Then reboot and let the PC rediscover the card.

Basically start from scratch. You may have some corrupted files.

This usually works for me.

PS. Not sure about the newer clients, but the older clients shipped with a cleaning tool located in the client directory under the Admin folder.

Lou

It might have something to do with how xp is picking up the ipx frame type when it boots. Assuming you're using IPX and/or don't have IP services configured.

There is a patch for the client that you might try. It resolves a ton of goofy problems including what you are experiencing.
You can also try to manually specify the frame type and network segment number so XP doesn't have to guess what it's trying to do. I have a step buy step guide with screen shots on my website at . Feel free to reference that or maybe you can figure it out without it. It's not too complicated.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Thanks guys your response. I will try your suggestions and report back.

THanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back