Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client computers can not browse Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxptyson

Technical User
Sep 21, 2001
US
Here's the problem. I have a W2K server,with AD. There are two users (members of the administrator group) and two shares (Full permission granted to Admin and User) on the server.

When I attempt to manually map those shares on the W2K client machines, I can not. I also can not browse for the printer unless I have File and Print Sharing enabled which I DON'T want.

Is there a group policy of something I need to setup on the server so that the clients can browse active directory.

Carol

First, are there two nics installed on the server and if so, make sure they both have valid ip addresses and are connected to the network. Otherwise disable the one that is not attached to the network.

Second... what if you go to START - RUN and type \\SERVERNAME or \\SERVERIPADDRESS can you pull up the shares then?

I'd check your IP configuration on both the server and on the workstations. See if you have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back