Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Client app hangs on APPEND BLANK on 100Mbit network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizzy38

Programmer
Jan 29, 2004
US
Help!

We just upgraded our network from 10Mbit to 100Mbit. Since that time, our Xbase app on Windows 2000 shows random hangs on APPEND BLANK when multiple users are in the app.

The client app issues the APPEND BLANK, but it never returns from the server, which is Novell 5.1 SP6. A WHOHAS2 command on the server shows multiple users locking the file in question. When we release one user at a time, typically, the remaining users will free up.

What's going on here? We're new to the Clipper environment, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated?

Melissa

Melissa,

I can sympathize with you. I'm also experiencing problems (on 1 of 3 servers) with the same problem. In fact, it causes index corruption in the process. Though it doesn't happen all the time, it's enough to drive me insane!!!! (users complaining)

I'm curious to learn what someone will reply.

What NIC and drivers are you using since the 10 to 100 upgrade?

TIA
TonHu

Hi, Mizzy38

Also what Novell client are your running MS or Novell and if Novell which one? Are you using IPX/SPX as netware protocol or TCP/IP?

Have your W2K machines been patched to disable opportunistic locking? Even if they are the same machines as previously, possibly the faster network is affecting cached locks.

Were any other changes made at the time of the network upgrade?

When you monitor the hung connections on the Novell server monitor screen, do one or more of the machines say 'waiting on a lock'. If they all say something like that then it could be a 'deadly embrace' situation - how many database files are involved?

Jock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back