Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

client 32 disappears in Windows 98

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckg0413

IS-IT--Management
Jun 5, 2003
US
I have recently started seeing client workstations that are 'losing' client32 and therfore not getting the Novell login prompt.
These are all Windows 98SE pc's running client 3.32 sp2 (some may be sp1). Various makes, either Allied Telesyn or Linksys NIC cards.

My servers are all Netware 5.1 running ZenWorks 3.2

Any ideas what might be causing this? Maybe a virus?, (have auto protect enabled with Norton AV using latest virus definitions.

This is usually a network issue. The switch or router or cabling. If it was only one pc then it could be the nic or the client but multiple PC's leads me to believe a network device is at fault.
Are you running IP only? If so, make sure you have a DNS entry for the primary server.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

I have a couple thoughts...

Generally this is caused by removing IPX from the client. Or perhaps by misconfiguring IPX on the client.

This could easily happen when installing a new client (You mention client 3.32 sp2, so I assume you've just recently began to install this)..

When you install the client, if you in fact intend to use IP and IPX, you need to make sure that you select IP and IPX. Do NOT select IP with IPX Compatibility. This will surely mess you up.

Also, don't select IP only unless you plan on configuring SLP or plan on some other way to allow the workstations to properly discover the IP devices.

You can check to see if you've got IPX loaded correctly on the client. If you go into Network Properties, where you see the list of protocols and adapters.. You should see two lines with IP (applicable for each network card binding).. One is IPX protocol and the other is 32bit IPX protocol (I can't remember the exact names)..

...But.. if you don't see IPX, or you see SCMD (compatibility Mode IPX), then you have it configured wrong and need to reinstall the client and choose IP and IPX.

I hope this helps.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Is your network pure IP because this can occur if the workstations have not got and initialised a DHCP IP Address at the time the Novell Client appears.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back