Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CLID on Merlin ISDN BRI

Status
Not open for further replies.

altaphon

IS-IT--Management
Apr 4, 2006
US
AT&T has announced reduction in their BRI rate in Calif to $25 so I am looking at switching some lines over to ISDN from analog (other issues, like hum in the remote terminal serving us, and limited pair count in the cable to the building are also a factor). We have a Legend running version 7.0 software.

Any experiences here using the 800 BRI card with Legend? I'm mainly interested in what happens to CLID -- can I expect AT&T to provide CNUM data on a BRI like they do on a PRI, or will it be CLID? What about CNAM? I guess this is dependent on how AT&T sets up the CO for these lines, so I'm also asking about any experience people have had with this (Central Calif, 5ESS).

Thanks!

I think you can only pass name on an NI2 circuit. Or at least that is how it is with PRI? I have no experiance with BRI but i dont know about the incomming name part. i thought I read somewhere that the legend could only do name on POTS lines. we dont see very may BRI set ups here on the east coast. Almost always PRI now that the cost has come down. Or even Partial PRI split for voice and data.

Most of the sites we're looking at (4-8 lines) still can't justify a PRI. I have read the Legend R7 system planning docs on BRI and it seems a little clearer now except for one thing. Is there any capacity for the Legend to deal with secondary numbers, or are we stuck with one SPID and one DN (directory number) per B channel?

Well, back when I set up a BRI circuit in my Lucent Lab, I had 2 Lines & 2 Telephone Numbers working off of 1 Pair of wires.

As I recall, I did have 2 SPIDS as well.

The reason BRI never took off was 'cause it was so blasted expensive.

In fact, I never worked on a PRI until after I retired, and everybody and their DOG got into the T1 business, and then PRI's started getting cheaper than dirt.

The Hardware for BRI may be rare considering few people ever purchased it.

you may want to look into the PRI a little more. You can bundle the data and voice and get them pretty cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back