Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clickstream: ROLAP or MOLAP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkavanagh

MIS
Mar 3, 2000
US
We like Cognos, but we're not sure that a MOLAP solution can handle the volumes and dimensionality that will come with clickstream data. We like Microstrategy, but not sure if the slower response times will be an issue with our users.<br>
<br>
Has anyone done clickstream analysis with either of these tools?<br>
<br>
Thanks<br>
Dan

I've had experience with ROLAP, MOLAP and HOLAP but not in clickstream analysis.<br>
<br>
The ROLAP was Oracle Express which tended to have a practical maximum of 6 dimensions, and a large volume of data starts making builds take longer than the period between updates!<br>
<br>
The MOLAP was Business Objects which performed very well with high dimensionality (my record is a 114 dimension cube!) and coped with around 250k records.<br>
<br>
The HOLAP is WhiteLight which is a bit more of a heavyweight (in price as well) but combines the best of both worlds.<br>
<br>
The important variables are dimensionality, frequency of update, up-to-the-minute picture requirements, volume of data (and how much money you've got!).<br>
<br>
As a matter of interest, what sort of data volumes are we talking about for a clickstream database?

We may be looking at as little as 10M rows of clickstream per month and maybe as much as 20M rows per month. We'll also expand the warehouse to include other &quot;stars&quot; in addition to the clickstream.<br>
<br>
Cognos claims that they can handle the volumes and the dimensionality and the multiple star schemas, but I just really wanted to see if anyone else had used their tools specifically for clickstream.<br>
<br>
Dan

Dan,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Sorry, bit of a break between your reply and this one.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Is that 10-20 <i>million</i> rows you are talking about? , and I take it that you are talking about Cognos Powerplay.<br>Anyone who says that a MOLAP is useful for 10-20 million rows added per month has not told you how long it will take to build the cubes!<br><br>I'm a big fan of Whitelight when it comes to larger quantities and if the models are need to be more complicated (calculated measures, dependencies, etc.). I would say that the answer to your question is &quot;neither, use HOLAP&quot;. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= home</a><br>

<br>&nbsp;I know that Cognos and MicroStrategy are a ROLAP solution, for example Oracle Express and Hyperion Solutions are MOLAP way, everything dependes what do you want to do ?<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;In your case I will use Oracle Express as MOLAP solution and as DOLAP solution Business Objects, with this scenario you can get very well results.<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Good luck <br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Scastro

Look at hyperion they are comming out with click stream applications on top of Essbase a MOLAP databasse. If you can summerize your data a little it should work fine. The new attribute dimensions would allow even greater analysis of you individual users data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back