Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clicking through from record to record on form

Status
Not open for further replies.

mat41

Programmer
Mar 7, 2004
AU
I have a bound form which is used for inserting records and viewing existing records. If I open an existing record I want to be able to click the forward and back buttons at the foot of the form to move from record to record, how can I do this???

I didnt build the form and have limited access from experience. Presently when I open a record I do see:

Record: (back arrow) and (forward arrow)

on the bottom however the back button is grayed out and I am only allowed to clik forward which clears the form and alllows me to enter a new record only.

TYIA

I have been researching this and am fast coming to the conclusion a bound form can not use the record navigation, or at least this one cant. SHould I be able to???

May I add this to the scenario - When I open the form as if I am entering a new record the navigation works. However if I open an exisitng record it does not. I have even turned off the navigation and using controls created my own. This also works and fails in the same way described.

Any ideas???

How are ya mat41 . . .

Your talking [red]corruption[/red] here! [surprise] If this occurs in the prescribed form only ... try deleting and reconstituting that form.

Ifs it all forms, you may want to think about reinstalling [sad]

Does this occur in other DB's? . . .

[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Really??? No I have not seen it occur anywhere else. I am an ASP developer who only has ever used Access as a back end. This is another persons app I have been writting SQL for.

All this GUI form building stuff freaks me out. The .mdb consists of only one input form. The whole system is loads of reports all based of the one table. Very simple stuff!!!

Should I be able to use the navigation record to record in a bound form?

Any properties you can think of asking me t check?

TYIA

You may try to create a brand new form using the wizard as the navigation tool should work perfectly in a bound form.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

mat41 . . .

What version access? ... and yes it could be some kind of corruption! This is the first time I've ever heard of the form navigation bar not working properly! [surprise]

Note: [blue]PHV[/blue] is suggesting the same . . .

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

version 2003. mmmmm very frustrating I have been tring to get this going for several hours now. Any areas you can think of me checking?

TYIA

Did you follow the form wizard ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

The form was created using the wizard yes. I didnt create it myself. All I have been doing is writting SQL to create reports with an existing app.

Personally have only ever used Access as a back. This is my first experience with Access forms and wizards. So the form has been corrupted you think? As I have mentioned above there is only a problem with the navigation when an existing reord is opened. The same form's navigation works fine:

a.. When opening it as if a new record is to be entered
b.. When opened from the 'Forms' window by double clicking the form name

but when a value is passed > the form gets a record from the table > threfore is populated with data ---- this is when the navigation only allows skipping forward one record which clears the data in preperation for a new record. aaaghhhh...

Maybe the form is set to Data Entry Mode. Check this is in the property sheet of the form, look at Data Entry-property; to allow to scroll through the whole table, the property should be set to NO.

Pampers [afro]
Keeping it simple can be complicated

Thank you for your input however this property is set to no

Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back