Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clicking Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrypuma

Technical User
Jul 3, 2002
GB
Hello

I have a dell dimension approx5 yrs old, with a modem, when I test the modem/query the modem it querys ok, however when I try to access the Internet all I can hear is a clicking noise and then I get the error "no dial tone".
I have verified that the settings are correct, phone line is ok as is cable. The OS is W2k Professional.
One other thing in Device Manager there was a yellow exclamation mark over both COM Port and LPT Port, I solved the LPT problem by enabling the port in the BIOS, however COM still has a yellow exclamation mark?
Is the modem dead and if so do I have to purchase a specific type of modem for this type of PC?

Thanks in advance
M

I would make sure the modem and the comm port is not trying to use the same resourses. If you are not using the serial ports on the mobo turn them off in the bios (at least for now) Remove the modem and comm ports from device manager and see if that helps. By hte way what kind of modem is it?

I had a similiar problem, when you first try and dial, the modem clicked, then goes silent.
The simplest thing I found was to replace the modem, its most likely faulty. I tried mine in a number of computers and on a number of phone lines and still the same, in the end replacing it was easiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back