Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clicking mailto does nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphtrent

Programmer
Jun 2, 2003
US
Hi have a mailto link that has a large body (roughly 2200 character) to it. When I click the the mail to link it does nothing. Is there a size limit on how big the body can be?

Thanks

Can you shows your code, there may be another reason besides the body size for why its not doing anything.

I doubt the size has anything to do with it. It may of course be taking a moment to pass everything to the mail client to be sent.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

I came up with a work around, but if i took a few charters out of the body, it would work.
Basically my code looked like this:

<a href="mailto:&subject=subject&body=blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah">Send Email</a>

Obviously I was using a legit body and subject.

My work around was to include the bulk of the body in an attachment.

Yes, there is a limit. I have heard this varies between browsers and is around the 1425 character length.

This may or may not include the email addresses.

If someone has a lot of spare time they could test it ;)

And you do realize that a mailto: link will do nothing for those of us who only use web mail...

Greg
"Personally, I am always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

Greg
I see your point, but this is for an internal corp app, we all have email clients.

Then perhaps using a Form instead of just a link may work better.

Additionally you could use any server side language to send the email.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back