Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clicking hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcbuilder

Technical User
Dec 8, 2003
US
A system was shorted by a power surge. The motherboard and processor was replaced. The hard drive and memory was tested in a known good system and worked fine. Therefore the only thing replaced was the motherboard processor and power supply. When the new board is turned on without the hard drive it posts fine, but when you connect the old hard drive it clicks. Then we tried 2 other hard drives and they did the same thing, click click click on boot up. Anyone heard of this?

Check HD jumpers and cable orientation, try a different cable too. Also check bios settings. Try a setting a pre-delay of about 3 seconds to let the HD spin up to speed.

Off post, I've seen several references to hard drive "delay". I've never seen anywhere to set this. What am I missing?

Kinda sounds like the DMA is causing problems with the HD's, try disabling the DMA for testing, within the BIOS setup... there is a possibility that the HD's aren't correctly identified by the used BIOS... or worst, the MOBO is shot, what can be due to the surge that was mentioned...

Micker377 - on old HD's this was needed, cuz the HD's didn't spin up fast enough for the rest of the hardware... on new systems (my guess 1999 and up) this isn't needed anymore, and I haven't seen a setting in the BIOS for it...

Ben

Micker - no problem... Am always glad to help where I can...

PCBuilder - did you get it to RUN, or what else have you done... please keep us posted...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back