Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

click image then preload.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrix07

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
CA
hi there i have downloaded a preloader and it works fine, but I would like to modify it. Right now when you enter the page the progress bar shows right away and then loads the images then it redirects. I want it where the bar is hidden, then when a image is clicked, then the bar shows and starts preloading. I don't where to modify this code.
I'm new to Javascript. There is a window.load at the bottom of the script. Can someone take a look. Thanks so much. This is only some of the code, I'd left out the imagesArrays.

// THE FUNCTION BELOW CONTAINS THE ACTION(S) TAKEN ONCE IMAGES ARE DONE LOADING.
// IF NO ACTION IS DESIRED, TAKE EVERYTHING OUT FROM BETWEEN THE CURLY BRACES ({})
// BUT LEAVE THE FUNCTION NAME AND CURLY BRACES IN PLACE. PRESENTLY, IT IS SET TO
// DO NOTHING, BUT CAN BE CHANGED EASILY. TO CAUSE A REDIRECT, INSERT THE FOLLOWING
// LINE IN BETWEEN THE CURLY BRACES:
// document.location.href="// JUST CHANGE THE ACTUAL PAGE IT "POINTS" TO.

var action=function()
{
//document.location.href="index.asp";
}

//*****************************************************//
//******** NO NEED TO EDIT BEYOND THIS POINT ********//
//*****************************************************//

var NS4 = (document.layers)? true : false;
var IE4 = (document.all)? true : false;
var blocksize=(barwidth-2)/(imagenames.length);
barheight=Math.max(barheight,4);
var loaded=0;
var perouter=null;
var perdone=null;
var images=new Array();
var txt='';
if(NS4){
txt+='<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 border=0><tr><td>';
txt+='<ilayer name=&quot;perouter&quot; visibility=&quot;hide&quot; height=&quot;'+barheight+'&quot; width=&quot;'+barwidth+'&quot;>';
txt+='<layer width=&quot;'+barwidth+'&quot; height=&quot;'+barheight+'&quot; bgcolor=&quot;'+bordercolor+'&quot; top=&quot;0&quot; left=&quot;0&quot;></layer>';
txt+='<layer width=&quot;'+(barwidth-2)+'&quot; height=&quot;'+(barheight-2)+'&quot; bgcolor=&quot;'+unloadedcolor+'&quot; top=&quot;1&quot; left=&quot;1&quot;></layer>';
txt+='<layer name=&quot;perdone&quot; width=&quot;'+(barwidth-2)+'&quot; height=&quot;'+(barheight-2)+'&quot; bgcolor=&quot;'+loadedcolor+'&quot; top=&quot;1&quot; left=&quot;1&quot;></layer>';
txt+='<layer width=&quot;'+(barwidth-2)+'&quot; height=&quot;'+(barheight-2)+'&quot; top=&quot;1&quot; left=&quot;1&quot;>';
txt+='<table cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0 border=0 width=&quot;'+(barwidth-2)+'&quot; height=&quot;'+(barheight-2)+'&quot;><tr><td align=&quot;center&quot; valign=&quot;middle&quot;>';
txt+='<span style=&quot;color:'+textColor+'; font-size:'+textSize+'; font-family:'+textFont+'&quot;>Preloading Images (Click To Skip)</span>';
txt+='</td></tr></table>';
txt+='</layer>';
txt+='</ilayer>';
txt+='</td></tr></table>';
}else{
txt+='<div id=&quot;perouter&quot; style=&quot;position:relative; visibility:hidden; background-color:'+bordercolor+'; width:'+barwidth+'px; height:'+barheight+'px;&quot;>';
txt+='<div style=&quot;position:absolute; top:1px; left:1px; width:'+(barwidth-2)+'px; height:'+(barheight-2)+'px; background-color:'+unloadedcolor+'; font-size:1px;&quot;></div>';
txt+='<div id=&quot;perdone&quot; style=&quot;position:absolute; top:1px; left:1px; width:0px; height:'+(barheight-2)+'px; background-color:'+loadedcolor+'; font-size:1px;&quot;></div>';
txt+='<div style=&quot;position:absolute; top:2px; left:1px; width:'+(barwidth-2)+'px; height:'+(barheight-2)+'px; color:'+textColor+'; font-size:'+textSize+'; font-family:'+textFont+'; text-align:center; cursor:default&quot;>Preloading Images (Click To Skip)</div>';
txt+='</div>';
}
document.write(txt);

//THIS FUNCTION BY MIKE HALL OF BRAINJAR.COM
function findlayer(name,doc){
var i,layer;
for(i=0;i<doc.layers.length;i++){
layer=doc.layers;
if(layer.name==name)return layer;
if(layer.document.layers.length>0)
if((layer=findlayer(name,layer.document))!=null)
return layer;
}
return null;
}

function loadimages(){
perouter=(NS4)?findlayer('perouter',document):(IE4)?document.all['perouter']:document.getElementById('perouter');
perdone=(NS4)?perouter.document.layers['perdone']:(IE4)?document.all['perdone']:document.getElementById('perdone');
if(NS4)perouter.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEUP);
perouter.onmouseup=hideperouter;
clipEl(perdone,0,0,barheight-2,0);
if(NS4)perouter.visibility=&quot;show&quot;;
else perouter.style.visibility=&quot;visible&quot;;
for(n=0;n<imagenames.length;n++){
images[n]=new Image();
images[n].src=imagenames[n];
if(images[n].complete)dispbars();
images[n].onload=dispbars;
images[n].onerror=dispbars;
}}

function dispbars(){
loaded++;
clipEl(perdone, 0, blocksize*loaded, barheight-2, 0);
if(loaded>=imagenames.length)setTimeout('hideperouter()', 800);
}

function hideperouter(){
if(NS4)perouter.visibility=&quot;hide&quot;;
else perouter.style.visibility=&quot;hidden&quot;;
action();
}

function clipEl(el, ct, cr, cb, cl){
if(NS4){
el.clip.left=cl;
el.clip.top=ct;
el.clip.right=cr;
el.clip.bottom=cb;
}else el.style.width=cr+'px';
}

//CREDIS TO DYNAMICDRIVE FOR THE FUNCTION BELOW
function get_cookie(Name) {
var search=Name+&quot;=&quot;;
var returnvalue=&quot;&quot;;
if(document.cookie.length>0){
offset=document.cookie.indexOf(search);
if(offset!=-1){
offset+=search.length;
end=document.cookie.indexOf(&quot;;&quot;,offset);
if(end==-1)end=document.cookie.length;
returnvalue=unescape(document.cookie.substring(offset,end));
}}
return returnvalue;
}

window.onload=function(){
var okPB=false;
if (loadonce){
if(get_cookie(&quot;progB&quot;)==&quot;&quot;){
okPB=true;
document.cookie=&quot;progB=yes&quot;;
}}
else okPB=true;
if(okPB)setTimeout('loadimages()',300);

well, I'd tried this...and called the start() from my onclick event.
seems to be working...checked my cache and it's caching the images. Anyone see any problems with this way???

//ORIGINAL FUNCTION
//window.onload=function(){
//MY TEST FUNCTION
function start(){
var okPB=false;
if (loadonce){
if(get_cookie(&quot;progB&quot;)==&quot;&quot;){
okPB=true;
document.cookie=&quot;progB=yes&quot;;
}}
else okPB=true;
if(okPB)setTimeout('loadimages()',300);