Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clearing duplicate DNs on a Norstar ICS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpermonkey

Technical User
Sep 28, 2003
US
My friend (honest!) has the following dilemma:
He has prorammed two phones (one analog and one digital) with the same DN per the customer request.
Now, he's trying to separate the tow and assign the analog with a new DN.
He doesn't have any manuals on hand to help.

My heartfelt thanks in advance to all!!

Ted

You can not assign the same dn to 2 differant devices. He mite of programed an answer DN on the digital for the analog.This is done in set programing ,unassign the answer DN.

Jumpermonkey submitted the post for me while I was out of the office. Here's what happened, the customer wanted an analog phone swapped for a digital phone but wanted to keep the same extension. I changed the DN on an available digital port, moved the cross connect and replaced the set, no problems no errors. Some time later a need for the analog line came up, so I clipped my butt set to the analog port and dialed the test phone, the extension had not changed. If I change the DN for that extension both phones change, I have verified the DN by dialing another extension with a display and they are both the same. So it seems I have two phones with the same DN and need to know how to separate them.

If that is what is really happening you have corrupted S/W.
It seems you know a little about the wireing and programing if you know what port the digital phone and the analog phone are connected to look in maintenance and it will tell you what the DN is.Also when you call either of the 2 phones with do they both ring.And if you call from either is the name the same.Try using both at the same time.

One uestion why didn't you just take out the Analog and put a Digital phone in it's place. This way you would not have to change DN or the Wiring. Ok question #2 what are you using for an ATA because they do make one that (3rd party) shares a port and uses the same extension #.

hawks, I don't quite understand your post. I did swap the analog set for a digital one, but it won't work connected to an analog station module it requires a digital port, and I needed to keep the same extension. The customer would need to purchase an ATA, they already had a digital phone, and this phone is on a pier in a box just big enough for the phone.

cook, thanks for the input I need to do some more testing to determine how connected these phones are.

Ok I understand I didn't know you were using an ASM I thought it was a stand alone ATA. If you do a F*0 on the digital set and hit the Intercom key does it show the same DN?

It sure does, on the analog phone I need to call a phone with a display to verify the number. I need to do some more testing to see if they both ring when called and if I'm on one what happens when I take the other off hook. I'll let ya know.

If you know the port numbers for the digital & analog sets, go into Maintenance & enter the port number & see what DN appears.

Also, did you plug the digital phone into the port off of the ASM? If so, I'm wondering if something got damaged, because of voltage discrepencies, etc.

Just out of curiosity check and make sure that it is not sending name information instead of number. I have had custiomers in the past just put the dn # in as a name and when you called another set that is what it displayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back