Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clearing Cache in Fedora Core 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

technofool007

Technical User
Jun 30, 2005
CA
I use fedora core 4 squid as a proxy server. Lately its been VERY slow with the internet and now it has stopped browsing. WELL I can browse from the proxy server, but none of my clients can. I am guessing the cache might be full.

How do I clear it? I found a cache folder at /var/cache from the root.
When I issue command mv ?? swap.state* junk it tells me the last argument has to be a directory... i am just about fed up and as lost. I got that info from the net otherwise.

Someone please help. How do i restore the internet to the clients connected to the proxy machine running squid?

I think that issuing a "squid -z" should rebuild your cache.

QatQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

I believe CACHE cannot get full. Squid will "push out" old entries and reuse configured space for cache.

You can run out of hard drive space, but in this case Squid will just stop.

You can delete cache (everything under cache_dir) and 'squid -z' (as QatQat said).
Google for 'man squid'.

There are some articles for optimizing squid. May be your cache is too big?

Thanks.

I know that if our access.log and cache.log in squid gets over a gig in size it will stop working.
In /etc/logrotate.d change the line under /var/log/squid/access.log to daily from weekly do the same for
/var/log/squid/cache.log

That has solved our problem.
HTH

Logrotate is installed and started by default in FC.
Anyway the maximum size of squid access log is 2Gb, but squid can be rebuild to avoid/increase that;

so not recommended...!!

QatQat

If I could have sex each time I reboot my server, I would definitely prefer Windoz over Linux!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back