Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clearing Admin events 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

campyracr

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
US
I have an event in my Admin log regarding the tape. It comes up every month or so when the backups reach the end of the tape.

How do I clear that out?

You need to check the alarm log ie display alarms and supply
the alarm code. I think this problem is being caused by either a faulty tape or you need to reset the head cleaning
counter

My mistake the screen looks like this:
resource Type - Tape
Location - port#
Alm Lvl - WRN
Fault Code - 6
Ack? - n

You need to run the Remove Tape command
Clean the tape heads
Run Test Tape Clean
Run Add Tape

OK
I ran "rem tap" replaced it with the cleaning tape and ran "tes tap clean" it reported successful. I then ran "add tap" & "tes tap long"
That worked.
Thanks!

Part II
Over time the error started showing up on a more frequent basis. I followed the directions above to remove the warning.

I called Avaya who advised it is likely a failing tape. They came on site to replace the tape after a few days.

Two questions: Is avaya going to charge me for that tape?
Where can I get a repalcement tape?

The tape drive is a Teac, using a "data cassette, CT-600N"

Should be able to get new tape at staples or compusa or the like.

Do not buy a tape from any other source than Avaya or a dealer. These tapes are formatted with UNIX I think. You will not be able to format them.
Sorry they are expensive.

Sprinter - I was looking at office supply stores for that type of tape, but couldn't find anything

Ideal - Thanks. Figures the older the technology the more it costs...again. I think we have it under a maintainence contract so there shouldn't be a charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back