Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clearing address cach in the Outlook "to" text bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtoestreich

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2003
US
I have a user that gets the wrong email address when types in a name. The contact info has been corrected, but the wrong address still comes up first. Is there any way to clear this info out?

Thanks for the help.

I think this is to do with the 'nickname' cache. Names and addresses from previous e-mails are stored, and reappear when you start typing in a name.

If for example you have previously received e-mails from several people with the first name of John, then when you create a new e-mail and start typing in 'John' you should see several names appear as a drop-down list in the 'TO' field from which you can select the correct person. To remove one of these entries you just need to move the cursor to select the entry and hit the 'DEL' key.

You should be able use this method to delete the 'wrong' entry. It should then be possible to pick up the correct one from the contact info.

Rik

p.s. I've just seen rstitzel's answer, which will work but does remove all names in the nickname list, which for some people can be a bit of a pain. I have previously used that method to get rid of an annoying incorrect entry, only for someone to show me the method I have suggested. The worse thing was that it was an 'end-user' who showed me! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back