Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clear Pagefile.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1naryPro

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2002
US
My Windows 2000 PDC has 300 MB left of the C: Drive. The pagefile.sys file is 1.87 GB. I want to clear data from that pagefile.sys. Can i clear the Pagefile.sys on my domain controller and not affect anything. Any Help greatly appreciated. JPBinary
MCSE, MCSA

Hi,

You can resize your pagefile. I think in your case dont clear the pagefile.sys Decrease the size of the pagefile.

You can set the size of this file by going to: Start->Control Panel->System -> Advanced -> Performance Options -> Virtual Memory Settings. A general rule of thumb is that you set the size of this file to 1.5 times the amount of memory you have. If you make the upper limit and the lower limit the same, you will receive a bit of a performance boost, as windows will not try to resize it. Paging is quite a large subject. Basically it just decides that applications that are running, and are idle could be swapped to disk, and allow the memory saved to be used for active applications.

This will help you to optimise your virtual memory

Aslam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back