Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cleaning up unwanted or unnecessary files 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishbait

MIS
Jan 9, 2002
US
Is there any information anywhere that one can access that shows what files such as autoexec.bat and config.sys and others such as .vxd or other necessary files that should be present in a healthy Windows installation? Something that one could sort of use as a guide?

I have repeatedly installed and uninstalled Windows 982E upgrade because of problems with an antivirus program (long story) and now I have cluttered up my Windows 982E with unnecessary files.

Thanks.
Fishbait

Go to start/run/type sysedit and hit enter...and examine the autoexec.bat and config.sys files. Unless you run 16-bit (DOS type) programs you shouldn't have anything in them.
SOME antivirus programs do a dos scan and may have put things in there...
If you're unsure about them you can either type rem in front of the line and save the file and try it...OR
start/run/msconfig and uncheck every thing you're uncertain about and try starting to see if anything fails. Then go back to sysedit and rem the line that loads it (effectively telling the OS to ignore this command)
I started this computer yesterday with EVERYTHING unchecked in startup tab of msconfig...and nothing failed...'course nothing loaded either.
Would be a good idea to save the autoexec.bat and config.sys as something you can remember (like autoexec.old and so on) and find if you have to restore it...then try the editing thing. It's a little scary at first, just pay attention (I should talk) and watchit!
Files you're uncertain about can be examined more closely by right clicking on them In Windows Explorer and choosing properties then highlight the entries in the lower left of the version tab...and the dialog will display some information about it on the right...scoling down thru them tells you a bit more...
The header of Version also has a BRIEF description of what the files do...which may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back