Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning up my database

Status
Not open for further replies.

letimati

Technical User
Feb 3, 2006
GB
Hi I am taking over a simple website database that has pages. Each page has a parent_id.

I have just looked at the database table and it has thousands of entrys. I looked into it a little and basically when a page was being deleted its children were not getting deleted.

I would like to clean the table up by deleteing eveything that does not have a active parent_id. I can do this for one level but the tree gos to 4 or five levels and everything under the top level all have active parent_id's. Is there a way or doing recursive sql?

thanks in advance for any help. I can quite easily write a quick script to do this but i love elegant sql to do stuff like this.

when a page was being deleted its children were not getting deleted.
So, you don't have any referential integrity ???

can't recall them off the top of my head, but some databases do not allow cascading deletes to the same table (which is the case for hierarchies implemented with parent_id)

r937.com | rudy.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back