Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

cleaning network jacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

redruby

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2009
US
I'm working at a restaurant in an old building with old wiring. We have had some trouble with RJ45 connectors getting crud in them. Is there something that will clean them and protect them in the future? I'm thinking of WD-40 or alcohol as a possibility. I've not seen any products specifically for this.

Thanks <b>wires</b> that pure-tronics stuff looks about right. I'm not sure why my googling didn't come up with that.

I get where your coming from <b>tnphoneman</b> but the system is 98% ok and giving just a few problems. I just want a little preventative maintenance. I’ll do a tester outlet before I spray the whole building though.

Thanks wires that pure-tronics stuff looks about right. I'm not sure why my googling didn't come up with that.

I get where your coming from tnphoneman but the system is 98% ok and giving just a few problems. I just want a little preventative maintenance. I’ll do a tester outlet before I spray the whole building though.

A while back, on a problem solving trip, I used shrink-tube on the RJ45 jack in an exposed grimy restaurant location. I was careful with the heat gun and the disconnect tab.
I first used this technique on 10Base2 (coax) applications (much before Y2K) in a New York hospital where someone was removing the "neat little silvery things".

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

"Never settle for a job well done...always look for cost cutting measures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back