Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning Job How ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 1, 2002
BE
Is it correct to state that the Cleani,ng Job only works for AutoLoaders ? I have a single tapedrive server. How do I clean the drive ? Can't I use Veritas Backup Exec at all ?

When I try to run a New cleaning job the Run Now and Schedule... buttons are greyed out.

Thanks.

Chris.

TO clean the drive you have to have a cleaning tape. I have an autoloader and one of my tapes is identified as a cleaning tape. BE uses that tape to clean my drives. With a single loader, you would have to have a tape that BE would recognize as a cleaning tape and load that when you want the drive cleaned.

<at least that's my understanding based on how my autoloader is working/cleaning>

-SQLBill

that's right -- we use to have a single-tape unit and you just had to periodically put in a cleaning tape...

go to DEVICES tab

right click on drive -- and there was a choice for CLEAN

Thanks for the replies, but I do not see any Clean option when I go to Device tab and choose the stand alone drive ??
The version of BackUp exec is 8.50...

Tx

You just need to insert the cleaning tape and it should be recognised by the drive and will clean itself, at least thats what happens on our DLT 7000/8000 drives. For single drives there is no option for cleaning in BE, this only applies to autoloaders.

cleaning tapes are usually easily identifiable because they are cream/white. As 28injection states, just chuck it in the drive, it will clean the tape and then automatically eject

Cheers

We have a Sony SCSI DDS drive which has its own cleaning tape which I have put in about 10 times so far in the last half an hour. Do I just need to reset the cleaning statistics for the drive, or should BE pick up the fact that cleaning is happening and do it itself?

BE only resets the cleaning statistics if you are using an autoloader. If you manually load the cleaning tape (single drive), you have to reset the cleaning statistics.

-SQLBill

load the cleaning tape into the autoloader.

in the devices tab, right click on the slot that has the cleaning tape in it, goto properties,

check off &quot;Cleaning Slot&quot;

now when ever you run a cleaning job, it will automatically load that tape.

hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back