Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaning in Legato versus Library 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iago77

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2003
ES
When occurrs some error in a drive, Legato enables Clean Required flag.

We have configured Media Library to do the cleaning.

Is there a way to disable Legato tape cleaning?

1) I have disabled AutoClean in "Autochangers > L700 > Edit... "
2) We had assigned slot 384 but we haven't inserted a tape inside so I have erased that number from "Cleaning Slots"

Is this enough?

Many thanks in advance.

True, you can disable Networker cleaning :
Edit Autochanger \ Preferences \ Auto Clean= NO

But the usual choice is to let Networker manage the cleanings (and disable the internal library autoclean option), because Networker "knows" when the clean is necessary, and because Networker will tell you when the cleaning cartrige has expired.

Do not let Legato do the cleaning. Legato cleans on intervals that you specify in the config whether the drive needs cleaning or not, this can cause unnecessary wear on drives.

The hardware only cleans when the drive requests it. Only use Legato if the hardware cannot handle it.

You have correctly disabled Legato above, don't need to worry about erasing the slot, Legato only references it if cleaning is enabled.

Ok, in fact today STK support techinician came to fix it but he only cleaned the lens and cartridge of the L700 arm.

I'll keep you update.

Thanks.

To mbl07 ...

What you say was true until NW 6.x. Since NW 7.0 the default behavior changed. NW can now react on cleaning requests thanks to the "tape alert" functionality.

Fair point, but this is only if the CDI is enabled and most people are turning this off at the moment.

To mblm07 ...

I want to understand the reasons why customers are disabling CDI. Can you share reasons/experiences please?

I think when you're setting up Storages Nodes, installation orders to disable CDI

It seems to be on the recommendation of Legato Support. As soon as any device issues are seen, the solution seems to be turn off CDI. This has certainly been the case at the sites I have visited latelty...sorry not a lot of help there

On the L700 range, it is recommended by Storagetek/Sun to have the library (rather than the backup application) do the cleaning as they respond to the cleaning request light on the front of the tape drives (as long as your firmware is reasonably up to date so that this function works).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back