Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cleaned cfor clean set up but lost audio and other problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jab2

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
GB
For cost sake I have always bought second hand machines. 3 months ago I got rid of old 200MX and bought a Viglen Genie which had been fitted with an AMD450, has NVidia graphics. I use Canon printer and HP scanner and am on Broadband.
When I got machine it had clean load so I just used as was. Recently scanner got very slow and net had been hijacked by people always offering to make me rich or take me to paradise. Decided to start fresh with my own identity etc on machine and clear all garbage out so formatted C drive.
Basically I have got essentials working fine, printer,scanner,net and decent picture but problems as follow

1 Most important no sound. Realised although several discs came with machine no audio material. System info said no driver installed. Ran Sisoft which said I had a CM197338/C3DX. Went online and found a driver at Driver guide.com. Downloaded it and as far as I can see it is installed but still no sound at all. There is a mixer shortcut comes up by clock which was never there before but does nothing. I cannot even bring up any volume controls.

2 On System info I have brought up problem devices. First says Standard PCI Graphics Adapter has problem. I have put on NVidia drivers and I think I saw somewhere this is a problem about multiple devices. Screen seems OK but worried may cause problems.

3 PCI communication device. Think this is simply old modem as now have Broadband. Should I load old modem as well or doesn't it matter

4 Says Unknown Device - Media. No driver installed but do not know what this is. One thing I did get was Windows installing new hardware for a game port which I did not know I had or ever used. Is this looking for a joystick which I have but not attached.

Sorry a big list. To make clear I am not complete computer idiot but 85% there !!! I use it as a tool and can find my way round the software etc but very little experience with setting up like this.
If some kind expert out there could spare the time to help me get it right I will answer with info as soon as asked and do what I am told but need to sort out especially sound.
Many thanks

Which operating system are you running on the PC? If you aren't sure, right click My Computer and choose Properties and it tells you. This will help us fix problems no. 1 and 2.

Re #3, this is probably the modem as you suspected, as you use broadband it is not particularly important to get this working, but it may help ensure things work properly.

Re #4: The 15 pin D connector on a sound card is installed as a joystick/MIDI port on many systems, and although they are being replaced slowly with USB equivalents, devices with the older connectors are still available if you look hard enough. Don't worry about it.

John

Many thanks for riding in !!!
Windows 98SE
Regards
John

Multiple ways of loading drivers. Probably best would be to go to the board website and get the drivers there. Will probably have a setup file as part of the zipped group that will install the correct drivers and clear the error.
Because of the way board manufacturers can mix and match components on the same basic series of design they mostly have you pull the drivers based on installed chip and OS. And one zipped file for each component, video, lan, sound, etc.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Ed's advice to find the drivers for the board from the manufacturer's site is good, if you don't know, I suggest running AIDA32 ( to identify the board components. If you don't feel confident enough to take the cover off to look on the actual board for make/model numbers, you could try contacting Viglen and asking them if they know which board it is.

John

Downloaded and ran the aida prog. Tells me motherboard is Jetway but not sure which other info I need.
One thing seems peculiar I looked at Multimedia audio. Says I have the CM18738 device but when I bring up Windows audio it is blank. Shouldn't there be some form of Windows audio installation?
Thanks further instructions would be helpful

Not always. If SE didn't have an .INF on it there was no way to load drivers.
Was Aida back up? It had been taken down a week or so ago.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Ed
Aida site up, but notice that they have decided to discontinue it, but gives a list of recommended replacement applications. Sad really, it is a useful app.

John

Yes Aida said closing down but still had download on site.

As usual you computer geneii have pointed me in the right direction. I looked under one of the Aida sections and it gives the manufacturer sites in blue so one can go there. I went to the audio link for C media which had a download. Had to get winzip then as forget it was'nt on and unzipped and pressed set up. Had to restart and heard that horrible windows opening noise so I now assume the right driver is on and I have sound.

So thanks John and Ed. Try and be patient with us numbskulls though Ed as sometimes we dont understand the symptoms !!

My system info is now reduced to 2 problem devices. The modem I know how to fix and the VGA device. I think that is to do with the 2 screens that come up in display (control panel) and the NVidia is in charge without the VGA being properly loaded. However I can see clearly and the picture seems good so should I not worry?

Really appreciate your help
Thanks
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back