Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clean URL

Status
Not open for further replies.

audiopro

Programmer
Apr 1, 2004
GB
I have been reading about Clean URL's and understand the 'easier readability' argument but how are the variables passed from a sub page to a controlling script if the query string is removed?

Keith

Hi

[ul]
[li]The requested URL is available for the CGI application, so it can parse it itself.[/li]
[li]If an URL router script is used, that may be able to parse out the passed values before calling the requested script.[/li]
[li]The web server can use URL rewriting to transform the clean URL into a regular one.[/li]
[/ul]

Feherke.
[link feherke.github.com/][/url]

Thanks for that.
I have been looking into URL rewriting but despite finding numerous explanations of how it is used, I cannot seem to find an example of how to implement it.
The main question for me is, is it worth doing?

Keith

Regarding the "how", and assuming you're on an apache server, you use a feature called "mod_rewrite". Search for that term and you'll find plenty of guidance on how to do it.

Is it worth it? That's really a question only you can answer.

Clean URLs are nicer for people to read and to remember (ignore anything you read about search engines being unable to cope with URLs containing query strings - if that was ever true, which I doubt, it isn't now). They hide complexity, and also some of the implementation details - if you change the way your site works, rewriting may mean that you can do so behind the scenes without changing any URLs.

I guess you have to weigh up those benefits against the amount of work it'll take you to implement it on your particular site.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

I wonder what percentage of site users look at the full URL let alone have the faintest idea of what all that 'gobbledegook' actually means. I agree with the SEO position being unaffected. I have numerous pages with long query strings which are highly ranked in competitve areas.
All this URL rewriting seems like a lot of work for no actual benefit but I am sure there is a valid reason for it.

Would converting each link to a <form> submission not have the same effect, ie. hiding vars from the address line?

Keith

Would changing a URL from

Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/script.cgi?code=AS54343&item=Frog&time=now&session=1772773747[/URL]

to

Code:
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.mysite.com/Frog/AS54343.html[/URL]

make any difference to the SEO ranking of that particular page or are clean URLs just to make the address bar look pretty?

Keith

There is a small benefit in having "keywords" in the URL but it is [sub]small[/sub] and really not worth creating upheavel on existing and already indexed URLs purely for the sake of it.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

There seems to be some conflicting opinions on the subject. Some stuff I have read agree with you and say it makes little diffrence yet others say it makes the biggest difference out of all the SEO tricks and tips.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to do some experiments.

Keith

Keith,

It's certainly not the "biggest difference out of all SEO tricks and tips". Search engines use dozens (even hundreds) of factors when ranking pages. The URL is just one of many. Nobody (outside the search engine companies) can say how big an influence the URL has, but i'ts unlikely to be any more significant than say, the title tag or the actual contents of the pages.

SEO aside, the advantage of the shorter URL (in your example) is that it is much easier for humans to understand and to type. In my opinion, that would outweigh any possible SEO advantages.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

Thanks Mike, I think I will give up on this then, if there is very little advantage to be had using it. I will try a few experiments but will not be dedicating the rest of my life to it.

Interesting that you say, nobody outside the SEO companies, I had a conversation with one of those SEO gurus a while ago. He reckoned his company could get me to the top of the SE's for the term 'web design' and it would cost me £xxx.00. I said if he could get me to the top of Google for that term, I would pay him double (on results), not surprisingly, I am still waiting.

Keith

I will try a few experiments but will not be dedicating the rest of my life to it.

That makes perfect sense, Keith. More people should develop that attitude.

Your story about the SEO guy reminded me of a blog post I recently saw:

Get me to the top of Google? Don't take me for a sucker.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips, training, consultancy

Unfortunately, many people are taken in by these pitches and don't get the results they paid for, just excuses.

I recently lost a client to one of the big design companies because, and I quote, "They don't just design websites, they asses the wider requirements of your overall buisiness and incorporate them into a business wide model which integrates all your requirements into a single, public facing, business platform".

I am almost tempted to sign up myself, it sounds awfully exciting.

Keith

Any SEO "guru" who guarantees results is just a swindler. I tell all my clients that. The best I can do is tell them that we will look at where they are today and then again in 6 months if there has been improvements. The closest I can come to a guarantee is that they will get results in 6 months. How much is unknown but they will move (up or down they will move one direction).

Darryn Cooke
| Marketing and Creative Services

I always explained to any one I did work for that "rankings" mean nothing at all after 2003/2004.

When we had the "Google dance" you knew that every searcher saw the same results no matter where they were. When Google moved to their rolling update system it meant that no two searches were ever likely to be the same even by the same person on the same computer, and "rank checking" became useless. But of course the "experts" fail to keep up with what ACTUALLY changes, despite their "must keep up with SEO updates" tips and the "prevailing SEO wisdom" is still stuck firmly in the last century.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back