Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clean up computer - want to start over

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawsheen

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
CA
My computer is about 5 years old. I have lots of garbage and since I partitioned it, C drive keeps running out of space.
I want to start over i.e. clean everything of and reload, but I have lots of data files, MP3s, etc. What's the fastest and cheapest way to copy these files e.g.
- buy an external drive, copy files over, cleanup and recopy??
- The only CD writer that my computer will support is a 8X ... don't want to spend the money on something so temporary.
- copy the data to an internet site and then back down??
Thanks

or use partition manager, create an extended partition and logical drive large enough to store your info, clean and reload the OS on the primary then combine partitions. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

One of the options:

Buy another IDE harddrive, they are dirt cheap now. Put it in place of your old one. Move the old one somewhere else, like secondary master. Install windows on the new drive. Simply delete all "windows", "program files" and basically everything except your Data files and mp3s. It's advisable to partition your new drive into 2 during installation so the data and the system part will be separate in case you want to reinstall windows in the future.

Another advantage of this approach is that when you build/buy your new system you'll have a nice new drive to add to it. And you won't run out of space anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back