Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clean policies in netcbakup? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cast3lo

Technical User
Apr 9, 2007
PT
Hi!
Is it possible to create policy that clenas the robot head?
Best regards

Tape Drive cleaning can be performed in one of three ways within NetBackup- frequency, TapeAlert or Manually .

Frequency based cleaning is as it implies, the tape drive is cleaned every x number of hours.

TapeAlert is more of an industry protocol or standard where tape drives with this feature can request the backup application to perform a cleaning when it "senses" the heads are in need of cleaning. The tape library must have TapeAlert functionality to support this functionality in NetBackup.

Manual cleaning is as the name implies the Admin initiates a cleaning of a particular drive.

Frequency based cleaning is set by going to the Media and Device Management section of the Admin console, selecting devices, robots, and then selecting the drives tab; highlighting one or more drive one can set the frequency in which the drives will be cleaned. If the cleaning frequency is left as zero, then the tape drive will be cleaned based upon TapeAlert protocol, or never if the library does not support TapeAlert.

If the cleaning frequency has been set and the library supports TapeAlert the tape drive will be cleaned on whichever event occurs first - the frequency or a TapeAlert

Manual cleaning is accomplished by highlighting the drive in the right hand pane and selecting clean now.

Hopefully this answers your question. [smile] NetBackup does take a while to become familiar.

In our case we have 2 separate tape libraries---a StorageTek SL500 with 2 expansion modules, and a Dell DLT SCSI tape drive. If I double-click the Dell tape drive it gives me ability to change cleaning frequency. However, when I open up the StorageTek (HP LTO3 drives) it opens a Shared Drive Wizard. I don't want to configure the shared drives as they are already config'd. How do I set frequency on these drives and can I can I use 0 for these drives to automatically clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back