Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clean logs and Delete old mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

roytheboy

Programmer
Aug 18, 2002
GB
2x questions really guys.

1x ... can I delete the log files without any special permission or arrangement

from D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA.

file look like E0000C00.log loads of them....

And how do i delete mail successfully for the mailboxes...

thanks in advance everyone>

If you are using a backup solution specifically designed for Exchange, the backup software should be deleting the commited logs after they are backed up. If your not doing this and just using NT backup or some other backup form, I guess you could delete them. Only problem is, in the event of a severe DB meltdown, exchange uses those logs to re-write events to the database. If those logs arn't there, or able to be recovered, in the event of a server barf you have the potential (I think I spelled that wrong) of loosing a lot of data.

I would strongly advise against deleting these log files. They should be backed up using an Exchange aware product which would then commit these changes to the database then delete them.

You are going truly regret deleting those logs. Especially after something as silly as a reboot.

Those transaction logs are invaluable.

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

I agree with fliebsch, be careful deleting exchange logs. One correction though, the backup does remove the log files but does not commit them. The logs are there for recovery purposes, the info is already committed to the Exchange database lomg before the backup runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back