Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

clean light on every day... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfx

Programmer
Jun 4, 2003
GB
Hi,
has anyone else had the orange clean me light come on every day (surestore DAT24)?

When the cleaning Led comes on everyday it could be a few problems with your drive.
1.The drive may be under cleaned-Hp recomend that if if you backup 5 days per week then clean the drive once.Insert the cleaning cartridge 5 times in succession to make sure the heads are clean.
2.Firmware on the drive maybe corrupt or need updated-You can update the firmware for the drive by downloading Hp's Storageworks Library and tapetools from this url:

Select your Operating system.The diagnostics are only available for windows and Novell.I assume you are on windows so install the diagnostics and reboot the system.On your desktop you will see an icon for Hp Storageworks library and tapetools.Click on the icon and then click on continue,The Diagnostics will perform a scan and recongnise the drive as C1537A.Click on the blue tape icon next to it and then click on the firmware icon.Make sure there is no tape in the drive,Tick the drive box and start update.The firmware should be updated to revision L111.

3.Heads may need recalibrated-Over a period of tim the heads on the drive can become out of alignment.To find out if your drive needs realign run the device analysis test within the Hp library and tapetools.Select the drive go to the test icon tick the drive box and run the Device analysis test.View the test and analysis results and if it says your drive may require recalibration then you need to realign the heads.To do this click on the utilities and then run script,Click on the browse icon and select the ddswriterecal.ssc file open it go back to the previous window and tick the drive box,insert a brand new DDS3 tape and run the script.This will realign the heads.

What you can then do is run through all tests to see if the drive is working fine.If fails read/write test then contact Hp technical support to see if your drive is in warranty and to get it exchanged if so.

Hope this Helps
Shaun Mc Bride

thanx shaun heres a * - found out drive was naffed
cheers MG

We have had a similar problem to the one described by adsfx, so I followed the steps given by Shaunmcb but unfortunateately haven't had any luck.

The device analysis test does indeed suggest that the drive may need recalibration, but when this is attempted the recalibration process will fail. The following is a sample of what is logged by the HP Tapetools:

Starting Write Current Recalibration ...
Checking for correct cartridge type ...
Set Buffered Mode: ON ...
Setting write current to 0x28 ..
Writing loop 10 of 120
Writing loop 20 of 120
Loop: 22 ERT value too high .. skip this write!
Setting write current to 0x23 ..
Writing loop 10 of 120
Writing loop 20 of 120
Loop: 22 ERT value too high .. skip this write!

This is logged repeatedly for numerous different "write current" values until finally it fails with the error message "Unable to read at any write current setting!". At this point the LCD panel on the tape drive will display either "Read fail" only, or the same message alternating with "Clean me" (tape drive cleaned over 10 times prior to attempting recalibration).

Would I be correct to think that all this indicates faulty hardware?

Thanks for any response!

recalibrate throuhg L&TT...make sure the back up software driver is on the drive and not the HP driver....make sure Removable storage is disabled. stop the back up software servies and flash the firmware and then recalibrate....run device analysis and the read/write test...if you want to generate a support ticked and send it to me for analysis geel free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back