Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Classic ASP multiple record update with Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

leifoet

Technical User
Jan 31, 2016
BE
How can I update a table (Access database) with multiple selections from a list box at once.
Can someone help me with the correct ASP code for this.
Thanks for help.

No code? No table structure?

Your querystring should look something like:
lboName=Value1&lboName=Value2

I then use code like:
Code:
strNames = "'" & Replace(Request.QueryString("lboName"),", ","','") & "'"
so strNames = 'Value1','Value2'
I can then use a where condition like:
vbscript said:
"Name In (" & strNames & ")"

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Thanks dhookom for tips.
I am not familiar with these select multi-codes. Consequently, I cannot locate the exact location of your code.

A list box (code below) shows the records with the following 3 fields of table A.

A_Id (= num)
A_Name (= text)
A_Member (= numeric) => 1 = member and 0 = no member (default = 1)

The intention is, for example, to select the 5 names (records) for which the member field must be updated all at once to 0 (instead of 1 per one).

code listbox
Code:
<form name="Member" onSubmit="return validatie(this);" METHOD="POST" ACTION="A_updB.asp">

<select multiple NAME="A_Id">

<%
rs.MoveFirst
Do While Not rs.EOF
%>
<option value="<%=rs("A_Id")%>">
<%=rs("A_Id")&".&nbsp;&nbsp;"&rs("A_Name")&" "&rs("A_member")%> 
</option>

code update
Code:
lngRecordNo = Request.Form("Rec")

Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Conn.Open "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("database.mdb")
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

SQL = "UPDATE TableA "&_
"SET A_Member = 0, A_UpDT = now() "&_
"WHERE A_Id=" & lngRecordNo

Problems
When 1 record is selected, it is 'prepared for update' with the code : lngRecordNo = Request.Form ("Rec")
How can I save multiple selected records - in "lboName" (?) - and then update (in once) in the SQL?

Is a simple selection in the listbox sufficient or must a select box per record be provided?

Thanks.

I'm really rusty regarding ASP and generally have to feel my way through it by using

Code:
Response.Write(Request("A_Id"))

Once you know the format of the request, you can figure out how to use the value(s) in your update query.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Once you know the format of the request, you can figure out how to use the value(s) in your update query.
That's my problem: how should I convert my 'select multiple' in a 'format of request' with a correct syntax; in other words: how do I create a request format for/with more than one record (for example 4 or 5 or 9 ...) selected from the above-mentioned listbox?
The 'Response.Write(Request("A_Id"))'-test can only be done afterwards, or am I wrong?

Thanks for tips.

I learn by testing for instance adding these lines will show you how many and which values are chosen.

Code:
<%
 Response.write(Request.form("A_Id").count)
 Response.write(Request.form("A_Id"))
%>

The request for form("A_Id") should return a string of delimited numbers that have been selected like "23,55,72". This string can be used in your update statement.

Code:
strRecordNos = Request.Form("A_Id")

Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
Conn.Open "DRIVER={Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)}; DBQ=" & Server.MapPath("database.mdb")
Set rs = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

SQL = "UPDATE TableA "&_
"SET A_Member = 0, A_UpDT = now() "&_
"WHERE A_Id IN (" & strRecordNos & ")"

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

The select multiple module now works perfectly. Thanks Dhookom for the good tips.

Follow-up question.

The structure of the main menu in the current application is as follows:

=> Choice
radiobutton 1 => 'select multiple' cf. above = link to continuation_for_multiple.asp
radiobutton 2 => link to continuation file2.asp
radiobutton 3 => link to continuation file3.asp
radiobutton 4 => link to continuation file4.asp

=> Code form
<form name = "Member List" onSubmit = "return validation (this);" METHOD = "POST" ACTION = "continuation_for_multiple.asp">

=> Submit
<INPUT TYPE = "submit" VALUE = "Execute">

In this case : the Request.Form("A_Id") are only 'delivered' to "continuation_for_multiple.asp"

My problem
How can I get the (specific) Request.Form("A_Id") of radio button 2 are delivered to continuationfile2.asp
and the (specific) Request.Form("A_Id") of 3 to continuationfile3.asp and the (specific) Request.Form("A_Id") of 4 to continuationfile3.asp ?

Probably with 'if' in <form name ...> but how / where to insert this code? - Is this the right method?

Thanks for tips.

Please mark this thread as complete and start a new thread with your new question.

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back