Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

class not registered

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyyonk

Programmer
May 6, 2002
SG
Hi all,

I have a hoverbutton.ocx file which i copied into windows\system folder in win98 OS. After compiling the application and running it, i got a class not registered error message. Is there anything missing? Please help. Thanks.

you have to register the ocx, copying it isn't good enough. run regsvr32 on it from the command prompt.

boyd.gif

[sub]craig1442@mchsi.com[/sub][sup]
"Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad." - Anon​
[/sup]

is registry necessary if specific ocx is compiled into the form and app? I am testing the app without presence of the OCX in the folder or registry and 'seems' to work fine??

Many 3rd party OCX's have licenses - both runtime and developement. Sometimes these need to be provided and/or registered.

Rick

OCX's are NEVER "compiled into" an application (.APP or .EXE)... the OS would then have no way to load them. They don't have to be in the current directory, though: The .OCX can be anywhere on your computer... the Registry enables windows to find the .OCX based on the CLSID (class id) that is stored in the form (.SCX) or class definition.

- Bill

Get the best answers to your questions -- See FAQ481-4875.

Registering an ocx is absolutely necessary.

boyd.gif

[sub]craig1442@mchsi.com[/sub][sup]
"Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad." - Anon​
[/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back