Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

class may be cached; changes are not displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciberperson

Programmer
Aug 31, 2000
CA
Has anyone ever seen this before?

I have a form.jsp which calls a sendmail.jsp which calls my class- send(). The first time I ran the form I found a change I wanted to make inthe class file. Made the changed, recompiled and then ran the form again. Big surprise - I see the same error (typo on email address)!

I have made numerous changes, including editing out anything related to sending mail, to the class file, recompiled and nothing is changing the end result. I am running this in a portal on a Weblogic server and of course those apps may be the culprit, but there is no reference to this issue on either vendor site.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? BTW -this has not been corrected by GC - the same typo (wrong email address) persists even after 24 hours!

Most servlet containers do not support hot reloading of .class files.

--------------------------------------------------
Free Java/J2EE Database Connection Pooling Software

Long time since I worked with jsp, but as far as I know fist time a jsp page is called it compiles and generates a .class file. If this .class still exists it won't try to compile again tha jsp page, so your changes won't be made effective. So you should have to find the .class file and delete it.
As I said, it's a long time since I worked with this, and I wasn't an expert, so if someone can confirm this it would be better.

Thank you both for your input. I found that I had to delete the class file for the jsp, or make a change and save it, in order for it to regenerat the jsp class file. As for the compile java file, I just renameed it and recompiled for testing. so it looks like you are right, sedj, the container will not support hot reloading of class files without redeploying my war file. I appreciate your comments.

Maybe it supports exploded deploy instead of a war file.

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back