Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Class Library will not update in one project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendas

MIS
Apr 20, 2001
US
I have a class library and two projects reference it. One project showed the updates by simply doing a build on the library & on the project.

The other one refuses to references the newer version.
I have...
1) hit build on the library & project many many times.
2) deleted the library from the project (all reference which was a .dll, .pdb, .xml) the rereferenced the .dll.
3) deleted the library and tried to build the project with the missing library expecting to get errors due to the missing reference. The deleted library reinserted itself back into the project!...
4) did the same as 3) but also commented out all reference to the library. this time I got errors due to varables used to reference the library reference. But again the library reinserted itself back into the project!

All these times it was an older version of the library.

Anyone have a clue how I can update the library reference in this project?

You probably have an old .dll in a different path that the project is referencing. Instead of builiding the project and letting it add it automatically, delete the reference in the project and add it back manually making sure you are pointing to the correct .dll

Thanks, but I did try that. That's was what I did in step #2. I have not moved the library in months and changes to it were working fine earlier in the day.
I am going to try deleting out the temp compiled version in the my documents area. If that doesn't solve it the only thing I can think to do is to save the project to a different area, then delete the project and rebuild it by adding all the code & forms from the saved project back in, along with referencing the libraries.
I was hoping someone could give me a better idea.

Hmmm.. Either the removal of the compiled version from the myDocuments area worked. Or my shutting down of the computer and giving it a rest did. Today, deleting the reference and referencing the dll, worked.
So Yeah no rebuild of the entire project!

this makes sense, it is related to VS caching.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

faq855-7190

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back