Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Class does not support Automation or does not support expected...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brice

Programmer
Dec 16, 2000
US
Anyone ever have this problem?

Problem Description - When a DCOM call is made from my client object to a particular method on the server component running in MTS, I get the error "Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface.". All other methods for the object work correctly and the client is able to instantiate the object on the server. The interface has not changed...name, arguments, etc. but I'm still getting the message.

Relevant Conditions - The server component has been compiled with a completely new interface and installed as a brand new component in MTS. Also, the error is being generated in the particular method on the server component because the method's On Error GoTo condition is being triggered and the error is being handled by the method's error handler.

Other info
Visual Basic 6.0 SP5 (ActiveX Dll running in MTS)
OS - Windows NT 4 SP6

Code example I didn't include any of the code between the On Error Goto statement and the error handler because the execution seems to be getting to the On Error Goto statement and then immediately going to the error handler. The SetState function merely accepts a string (the return value of obj.Fetch) as an argument.

Client code:

SetState obj.Fetch(strID, strSSN)

Server code:

Public Function Fetch(ByVal strID As String, Option ByVal strSSN As String = "") As String

On Error GoTo FetchErr:

Exit Function
'-----------------------------------------------------------
FetchErr:

'Error handler code

End Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back