Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Class Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

RV76

Programmer
Jan 20, 2004
US
I am trying to find out if it is better to not create a class for customer contacts. For example, a customer may have 1 or many customer contact. The only operations that I can think of are add a new customer contact, modify a customer contact, getCustomerContact. The attributes include things like contact first name, last name, phone, etc...

Also if an invoice have line items, I am assuming it is not better to have a class called lineitems.

Sounds like you might want a list of customer contacts then.

In both the examples you cite, they are compositions, (i.e. they are parts of another object). A contact can't belong to more thsn one Customer, and a LineItem can't belong to more than one Invoice. You definitely need a Contact object. Your Customer object has a collection of Contact objects, so you can create new Contacts, add them to the collection, sort them etc.

Make sense?

Steve

[small]"Every program can be reduced by one instruction, and every program has at least one bug. Therefore, any program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work." (Object::perlDesignPatterns)[/small]

I agree with steve. And I also agree with cp. I would think about having a contactlist object that is composed of none to infinite contacts. The contactlist object (cp's "list of customer contacts", steve's "collection of contact objects") would be in a composition relationship with the customer object, with a multiplicity value of one and only one, and would expose as methods the functionality that steve describes (add contact, sort).

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back