Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clarity security model

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShortyA

MIS
Feb 20, 2002
CH
Hi,
we are using Clarity for PPM and are implementing Webi to allow users to run their own queries. However we want to make sure that they can only see the projects/resources etc that they would be able to in the Clarity application.

So in the universe I have two main tables. First one called "Security" has a USERID field and a PROJECT_ID field.

USERID PROJECT_ID
ATS 123
ATS 456
BTS 789

The second table is called "Projects" and has a single field called PROJECT_ID. The join between the two tables is on PROJECT_ID but I want to ensure that when ATS signons to Webi and creates his report he can only see the first two projects. How can I ensure that this happens ? I want to set this in the universe as there are LOTS of objects but I want to start with the Project one.

I am using BO XI R2 against Clarity R12 on an Oracle database.
Many thanks for any help!
ShortyA

Hi Steve,
thanks for that - very helpful indeed and simple to follow!
Regards - ShortyA

As an addendum when I added in the Clarity security view and did a self-join this worked fine as long as there was a value from that table being used in the report.

For example :
Linking the "Security" view into "Projects" with the self join on the "Security" table (User_Name, Project_ID) and a link to "Projects" (Project_ID2, Project_Name).

When running Webi and listing User_Name and Project_name only the projects the user was supposed to see were shown.

However, list Project_Name only and ALL projects were shown irrespective of whether the user was supposed to see them or not. Strange.

If you need it to provide the security in all cases, then you need to create the filter in the universe and then have the filter object defined so that it's ALWAYS applied.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Steve,
many thanks for your help - clearly you are decades beyond my limited experience!

I am a relative new universe developer so am unclear on how a filter can be applied such as this to the universe. Are you able to provide more information please ?

Also, when you have implemented this setup (ie Clarity users on Webi with Clarity security model required) do you use the Clarity logonids or have you created new ones as I noticed that some users have them already? I assume that this is from them running reports via Clarity and therefore that the password will not be retrievable.
Thanks - Alec

Stop thinking about doing this with BO. How would you do this with SQL. If the only thing in Clarity that would identify the user is the user_ID, then you either need a cross reference to make the ids match BO or just make them match from the start.

If you are on XI 3.1, look at the properties of a filter object. At the bottom you can specify if a filter is mandatory and when it is required.

You really should be looking around and learning how the tool works. BTW, this is by far not the best forum for learning and asking questions.

Steve Krandel
Intuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back