Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clariion CX-500 error (sounds severe) help?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellboy101

Programmer
Aug 31, 2005
US
Hello all -

Hope your weekend is going great and now for the main event. My Clariion is acting up.. I can't believe the call home feature didn't pick this up before the error hit the SAN.. The error in the logs and the email alerts state: Time Stamp 03/17/06 06:53:28 Event Number 944
Severity Error Host wwclariion1-spa
Storage Array APM00050606482 SPA Device SP A
Description Hard Peer Bus Error

I'm calling EMC but wanted to know from the engineers on this panel whether they've seen this before. This all started it seems when one of my storage processors lost it's agent and I couldn't manage the SP, I had reinstalled the agent but first had to check that my zones were installed correctly and finally power cycled the SP, everything trespassed and returned back to normal.. a few weeks later THIS transpired..

any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
hb101

Lets first start with the process of illimination.

The "SAN" is connectivity only, like a WAN. So lets take the SAN out of the picture at this point in time.

A "HARD BUS ERROR" is definilty physical which leads me to beleive 1 of 3 things;

1. SP is starting to go bad.
2. GBIC on SP or HBA is going bad
3. Fibre cable damaged that connects your SP to the Switch.

This personally sounds like an SP issue or FLARE code problem.

I would first contact EMC and tell them the get their engineer onsite and setup the Call home function properly, and then tell them to fix the issue you just experienced.

Thank you Comtec, I agree that it is an SP issue, both fiber cables and HBA look functional but one never knows. EMC has been contacted and the modem for callhome has been rebooted and now seems functional.

thanks for your detailed support, I appreciate it!
hb101

Peer Bus Error's are due to a loss of communication between the internal sp communication bus. It usually is indicative of an sp going south.

Thx Maultier,

I'm going to be busy, there's no question there. :-(

hb101

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back