Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Clariion-- Clarification on Storage group

Status
Not open for further replies.

naren23

Programmer
Aug 13, 2007
US
Hi,

In clariion we create storage groups and assign group of luns and host's to it.

For example:

We have lun1,lun2,lun3 assigned to a storage group called Sgroup1. The host1,host2 is assgined to Sgroup1, So host1,host2 can see lun1,lun2,lun3.

Is there is any way where we can assign lun1 to host1 and lun2 to host2 in a particular storage group(i.e Sgroup1) So that lun1 is not visible to host2 and lun2 is not visible to host1 eventhough they are in the same storage group.

No, there's no way of doing what you want. The correct way to do that would be to create two Storage Groups (e.g. Sgroup1 and Sgroup2) and put host1 and lun1 in Sgroup1 and host2 and lun2 in Sgroup2. Now, if you want some devices seen by both servers and other seen by only one server, you'd need three Storage Groups: Sgroup1 would contain host1 and lun1, Sgroup2 would contain host2 and lun2, and Sgroup3 would contain host1, host2, and lun3.

Hi Matt

Thanks you very much for your reply. I understood the concept now.

FYI...A Host can only be assigned to one Storage Group at a time. But LUNs can be assigned to multiple Storage Groups....

In Symmetrix we have raidtype called raid 5(7+1) where it requires 8 symdevices. The first Symdevice out of 8 is called meta Head for other seven devices in the group.

The device(i.e Lun) capacity of the Meta head Lun shows like aggregation of all eight devices in the group and not the capacity of meta head lun.

For example , we have following eight sym device or LUN

Symdev No capacity
01(Meta head) 233MB
02(Meta Member) 233MB
03(Meta Member) 233MB
04(Meta Member) 233MB
05(Meta Member) 233MB
06(Meta Member) 233MB
07(Meta Member) 233MB
08(Meta Member) 233MB

The capacity of 01 Meta Head Lun in CLI shows 1864MB(233*8) instead of 233MB. This is expected behaviour.
Why it shows aggeration of capacity in the Meta head LUn instead capacity of that Particular lun(i.e 233)?

Any help... Much appreciated

It'll show the capcity of the entire meta, because device #01 is now a meta device made up of all the members. In the 'symdev -sid XXX show 01' command you will see the capcity of the hyper #01 (rather than the meta #01) under the 'Meta Device Members' section.

J

Hi ,

Can you please tell me how we can calculate the TotalConfigured capacity(Lun created on the Storage array) and free capacity(lun created but not assigned to the host).

Please let me know if you need ny info.

Regards
Naren

ECC or StorageScope would be your best bet for that.

Hi

Thanks for the info. Is there is any SYM CLI which will give information about Total capacities, Free capacity, Allocated capacity of the symmetrix storage array.

Regards
Naren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back