Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

CLAN QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 2020
US
I have recently been assigned to manage the G3rv11 here at work. I am trying to get the CLAN configured so that I can access the switch via ethernet instead of the 7400B data module. When I go to setup the ip-interface, I add in all the information that is required to set up a new interface, and when I hit enter I get an error on a previously entered item in the interfaces list. There is a CLAN configured in the interfaces list already however the error I get is telling me "C-LAN type requires TN799 board on circuit-packs form". I checked the circuit packs form, and the TN799D is listed.

My question is, the CLAN that was previously configured is now showing a TN464F card (DS1 interface) that is being used as one of our PRI's for outbound calling. Why would there be a CLAN configured to a DS1 card? Or do you think this is old programming that can be removed?

Perform "list config all" and compare that to what is physically inserted in the cabinet. If you put the CLAN in an open slot that still had a 464 configured then that programming can be removed. It might take a while to find all of the programming to remove the 464 so if you have another slot open that doesn't have any programming you might want to put the CLAN there, program it, get it working and then test out your new connection by removing that 464 programming.

OK. so that sounds like to me, at one point there may have been a 799DP card installed where the 464F card is now, and the programming was never taken out. Would there be any reason that the DS1 card would use CLAN programming?

Sorry, I'm sort of new to this stuff.

It's not possible to have a PRI set up in a slot that shows that a CLAN belongs there. Are you sure you're looking at the correct slot? What type of carrier do you have? Can you post the results from "list config all" or "change circuit" to see what you're working with?
The big wall mount cabinets have the slots numbered left to right 1 through 5 on the bottom and 6 to 10 on the top.

We have 1 PPN and 15 EPNs off of that. The cabinets I am working with are 5 carrier cabinets. The slot I am dealing with right now has the correct card TN464F in it and is working as a PRI for outside dialing. Unfortunatley, we are not allowed to connect to a network with our terminal computer, so posting results is pretty hard to do.

I can tell you that when i look at the circuit packs screen, all circuit packs are correct and match whats in the carrier physically. It's the programming in the ip-interfaces that is screwing me up. There is a line that reads as follows:

Enable Eth - y
Type - C-LAN
Slot - 02C01
Code - TN464
Sfx - F
Node - name - satclan02c01

Then there is the ip information after that.

In the circuit packs screen 02C01 is showing TN464F DS1 Interface.

That's the slot you need to use when you set up the ip-interface. Why were you putting 02C01 on the form?

Hard to explain with out screen grabs.

I haven't added anything to ip-interface. There was already programmed in, on line 2, a C-LAN on 02C01 but the card didnt match up to a C-LAN TN799 as it is currently a TN464F, so it would give me an error when trying to add the new line in ip-interface and wouldn't allow me to save any changes. The cursor would jump to 02C01.

I'm just not sure why or how that C-LAN line on 02c01 would be able to be programmed as a TN464F unless it was previously programmed as an actual C-LAN many years ago and no one ever removed line 2 when changing the card over to a TN464F. Or if there is some other funky programming possibly linking more than one PRI. Like I said, I am fairly new at this level of programming, so there might be something i am missing?

Things have changed a bit since v11 but you can't have any leftover programming in a slot before using it for a different purpose no matter the version.
Can you perform 'list ip-int all'?
What command are you using when you try to set up the ip-interface? Just curious to know if you can specify the board location in the command or if that didn't exist back then.

If the ip-interface already exists then maybe this is all you need:
Change the enable to 'n', enter, then go back and change to the correct board location, enter, then enable 'y', enter.

I am doing 'ch ip-int' to get to the configuration page where I enter a new ip-interface.

If there isn't any reason a C-LAN type ip-interface to be used in conjuction with a DS1(PRI) then I think it is safe to assume that this C-LAN line can be modified to show the correct port and card.

Correct, change that to the slot where the CLAN resides. Good luck.

Alright, so I have everything setup, but still can't connect. Does the connection require a crossover cable?

you need an adapter on the back side of the clan hat connects to an Ethernet port

Yes. I have that adapter installed. From that adapter, A) is it possible to direct connect to PC and B) if so does it require a cross over ethernet cable or straight ethernet cable. (Again, sorry, still new to this and still learning)

Laptop should be able to handle the connection regardless of cable but would generally want a crossover. Is the CLAN set for auto negotiate? Do you see any link lights on the laptop when you have it connected to the CLAN?

straight through cable from clan to network, should get a link light on the clan card.

Cross over cable for direct connect to laptop worked great! Had to adjust settings on laptop network card as well because it is not networked at all.

Thank you all for your help.

do a get Ethernet options, see if the data port the clan is connected too matches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back